Our mission is to fundamentally transform the way leadership is learned
What is leadership?
Leadership is the ability of an individual to influence, motivate and enable others to contribute towards the effectiveness and success of the organisation.
House et al., 1999
What that means
- Leadership is interpersonal, it’s about your interactions with others.
- Leadership’s key ingredients are influencing, motivating and enabling.
- Successful leadership increases effectiveness and achieves success, producing visible results in the organisation.
- Leadership is an ability, it’s a skill that can be developed.
Leadership is much more about the effectiveness of your relationships with others, than it is your position in the organisation.
Ultimately, leadership is about what you do, not what you know. Your leadership effectiveness is assessed by the behaviours you consistently manifest across time, not by the concepts in your head.
Effective leadership learning happens in three domains: knowing, doing and being. But there’s a clear hierarchy. Who you are being in an interaction matters far more than what you’re doing. What you’re doing matters far more than what you know. For this reason, you cannot learn leadership from a lecture or a PowerPoint presentation. Effective leadership is learned through practice and feedback. You have to be in the arena, repeatedly interacting with other people.
Are you ready to transform your leadership effectiveness?
How we teach leadership
- Deconstruct the core components of leadership: influencing, motivating and enabling into their constituent micro-skills
- Gather a cohort of participants and get them engaging in these micro-skills with each other
- Leverage a 6:1 participant : coach ratio so all participants get continuous, customised feedback
- Have participants incorporate their feedback in subsequent repetitions of each micro-skill
- Minimise cognitive learning time to maximise time in iterations
- Regularly mix participants so they get practice interacting with a range of styles
- Facilitate the creation of a psychologically-safe environment so participants embrace:
- engaging in activities
- feedback from both coaches and fellow participants
- persisting with practice to achieve increased leadership effectiveness
To learn about becoming a more effective leader, contact us to discuss joining one of our programs, or to have us customise a program for your team.